Job Details: Library Assistant (Dutton)
|Open Date||Sep 13 2023 - 08:30:00 AM||Close Date||Oct 02 2023 - 04:30:00 PM|
|Position Title||Library Assistant (Dutton)||Posting Type||Part time (CUPE)|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Part Time|
|Department Group||Hours per Week||13 to 18 Hours per week|
|Department||Community & Cultural Services||Openings||1|
|Education||College Diploma||Experience||1 - 2 years|
|Salary Range||$21.16 to 25.81/hr|
Title: Branch Library Assistant
Department: Community and Cultural Services – Branch Library
Report To: Branch Supervisor
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Carries out a variety of functions in the day-to-day operation of the Dutton, West Lorne and Rodney Library Branches.
SUMMARY OF WORK PERFORMED:
1. Registers new patrons and updates patron file.
2. Issues library cards.
3. Checks library material out to patrons. Clears book returns, checks items in and re-shelves them.
4. Makes and stamps date due slips.
5. Verifies overdues, collects overdue fines and issues receipts as required.
6. Answers reference/reader’s advisory questions using available branch reference and circulating collections.
7. Prints off holds list and searches for materials on shelf.
8. Searches various databases for patron requests. Materials not found are forwarded to the Inter-Library Loan Clerk.
9. Contacts patrons when requested materials are available.
10. Collection Exchange: As directed by branch supervisor, selects materials, packs and unpacks boxes.
11. Shelf reads for order as necessary.
12. As directed by Branch Supervisor, weeds collection.
13. Periodicals: Adds copies to magazine record. Deletes out-of-dated issues.
14. Picks up and deposits mail at local Post Office. Handles incoming/outgoing inter-branch mail as required.
15. Operates branch equipment.
16. Responds to electronic mail.
17. Opens and closes the branch library ensuring security as required.
18. Participates in book sale.
19. Assists with the library physical organization as required.
20. As directed by Branch Supervisor, attends meetings and workshops and prepares written reports
21. Plans, co-ordinates, and oversees programs.
22. Develops a set of tools for working with children such as finger plays, songs, stories, etc.
23. Develops posters and handouts for programs and events.
24. Develops, organizes and sets up displays.
25. As directed by the Branch Supervisor, corresponds and liaises with community organizations.
26. Assists with in-house tours for community groups.
1. High School Graduation Diploma; post-secondary training or experience in library setting preferred.
2. Good customer service/interpersonal skills.
3. Proficiency in computer use and knowledge of general software programs such as MS Office and internet browsers.